Sunday, March 27, 2011

The blog you hope you never have to write

Tame? Did I use the word tame? Well shortly after that last blog our trip took a wild turn.

Sadly, we were the victims of what can only be called a horrific case of mistaken identity. We were assaulted outside of a small village while parked on the side of the road for the night. Our assailants apparantly thought we were someone else with whom they have issues. They were looking for a white combi and we look like a white combi....

They pummeled the van with large rocks. In an attempt to flee during the attack, we began to drive away but missed the road and drove off an embankment. We were incredibly lucky the van did not roll and came to a stop where it did; a few feet beyond was a much steeper drop-off over which we surely would have rolled.

We were not robbed, no one entered the van and once they realized we were not who they thought we were our assailants retreated.

Both Mike and I sustained injuries to the face and eyes. The Beagle lost three windows in the milieu and has a number of battle scars to show for her efforts. Chettie came though unscathed.

What followed was an incredible show of caring and compassion from the community, the members of which were shocked and appalled at what had happened. We were embraced by strangers who, one step at a time, led us first to Huancayo and then to Lima where we received medical care and began the healing process.

Without going into a lot of details, know that we are okay. To be sure, it was a very scary experience and one that will take time to sort out.

Provided our injuries continue to heal we intend to adhere to our plan and travel through Ecuador and Colombia. We do not want this one incident to define our trip as we have met hundreds of great people and have seen many incredible places. We know there are good people everywhere and yes, sadly, a few bad people scattered about.

This was a random event that happened neither because we did nor didn’t do something. We know this type of incident could happen anywhere and is not specific to Ccaccasiri (the town we were in), Peru, or South America.

I am sorry that our adventure has caused those who love us to worry. It is impossible to express our gratitude to our family and friends who have enveloped us with love and caring from so far away. One would never choose to have this happen, but what one is shown when it does helps make sense of it all.

Mike and Marisca, the nurse who provided our initial care.

Mike recieving a shot on site.
Me, Mike (and Andres) upon being reunited after I spent the night in the local health center.

Looking up the embankment from the van at the community members who came out to help in the morning.

Mike talking to some of the community members while others in the foreground are busy building a road with picks and shovels to pull the van out of her predicament. The towel is covering the broken back window.

The extrication operation.

Mike and I with Damien, Marta, Eleanor, Chettie, Jan and Josef in Huanchaco. They were some of the first people we met once we arrived in Lima. They were gracious and kind and helped us begin to return to normalcy by being good friends. We have traveled north through Peru crossing paths with them several times. They are the first friends I made with my ´new look´and their acceptance helped me to know we are going to be okay.

Life is like a bicycle...if you want to keep your balance you have to keep pedaling.

6 comments:

  1. I miss you girlfriend, I can only run two strong miles now but I am looking forward to having my best running buddy back to help me get stronger. Do you want me to register us for the Autumn Color Fun Run in September? See you soon! Love and prayers, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello to both of you ~ I am so glad you are relatively "all right" and going to continue with your travels. You are both in my thoughts and heart ~ again, know we send good energy your way for this last part of your travels. Be safe; we look forward to having you both to dinner when you return. Arden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading you from México and feeling really sad for this negative experience.
    Keep moving, keep enjoying and sharing this amazing trip.
    I hope the van can get back on the highway without major issues.
    Blogs like yours make me really jump into a van and drive along the continent.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey from the first new friends ! We are on our road to Quito where we think we will get by tomorrow, if the weather conditions allow it (have you heard that the Nina is supposed to dry the atmosphere ? Somebody is lying to us, if you believe me !) - we are proud having been of any help, and we think we have been lucky to meet you ! Lots of love to Chettie from the kids !
    PS : we today had horrible fries at KFC - they surely were not Freedom Fries ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, My name is Nick and I recently discovered your blog via bodeswell.org which I have been following for almost a year. My wife, son and I are planning a trip through central/south america in a few years and are looking for information on traveling with our dogs. There is very little info about pan-american travel with dogs and I was thrilled to find your blog. Sorry to hear about your recent troubles but glad to hear that you are ok and that you see it as a random thing that could have happened anywhere. So much of what I have come across in my reserch is people saying that going anywhere south of texas is a death sentence. I would love to talk to you more about the pet specific aspects of your trip. If you get a chance, you can email me at shaggybus@yahoo.com. Thanks and keep on truckin

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey trish:
    an odd place to write this but don't have your email. Wanted you to know tom died in Guatemala on January 10. he was flying his small plane. His copilot walked away.
    hope we can catch up. I will be selling my portion of house to his family. I remain in Washington for the time being, but will road trip it in may/june. hope we can catch up. I've enjoyed your adventures..thanks for sharing. blessings,
    katied52@gmail.com

    katie

    ReplyDelete